To get your home ready for a speedy sale, you need to remember that buyers want to be able to picture themselves living in your home. The best way to do this, is through a little home staging. Successful staging will boost your home’s appeal & your chances of a speedy sale.
THINK LIKE A BUYER
Looking at your home from a new perspective will help you correct any potential eye-sores you may have become used to over the years. It will serve you well to picture some of your beloved items on display as clutter, and clear the way of things you do not need.
The removal of clutter also helps you with your packing process – so you’re ahead of the game!
MAKE COZY BEDROOMS
A bedroom should be a place of relaxation, rest and serenity. Stage your bedroom to look spacious, welcoming and cozy:
- Paint the walls in a soft, neutral tone
- Remove all furniture other than the bed, a dresser and night stands
- Remove all knickknacks
- Remove at least half your wardrobe from the closet t make the closet seem larger
- Invest in new linens / bedspreads and throw pillows
- Clean the windows, dust, clean carpets or sweep & mop hard surface floors – Make it sparkle!
MAKE THE BATH BEAUTIFUL
Your bathroom needs to make a great first impression, as it is considered one of the most important rooms of the house. Your bathroom must be impeccably clean, somewhat modern, and again, free from knickknacks and personal items:
- Replace old bathroom fixtures with new ones (towel rods, faucets, etc)
- Hang new, luxurious looking towels that match the bathroom colour scheme
- Before an open house, consider putting a fresh bouquet in the bathroom
- Ruthlessly clean! Scrub, scrub, scrub, and scrub!
KEEP IT CLEAN
Cleanliness trumps all. Buyers must be able to imagine themselves living in your home, and anyone would have a hard time picturing themselves living in someone else’s filth. In fact, your top to-do list when it comes to selling should be a deep, thorough clean.
If you have a pet, be especially vigilant about eradicating their odors – the smell of wet dog, or the kitty litter box could kill your sale.